When most of your teeth have deteriorated to the point where we can’t restore them with crowns and bridges, dentures return your smile to its former appearance and function.
Dentures – What To Expect
Creating a denture that fits your bone structure, sits comfortably and functions as you speak and eat is a complicated process that requires up to six appointments. This attention to detail ensures you’ll be happy with how you look, speak and eat once you receive your final dentures.
- Appointment One – Impressions: In order to make sure dentures fit snugly in your mouth, your dentist takes impressions of your jaws to be fitted with a denture. This appointment lasts about 30 minutes.
- Appointment Two – Wax Rims: Based on the impressions from the first appointment, a restorative dental technician creates a set of wax rims, which represent your dentures’ bases. These rims are fitted in your mouth and measurements for bite and tooth placement are made to help the technician create a lifelike prosthesis. This appointment lasts about an hour.
- Appointment Three – Wax Try-In: A wax replica of your dentures is fitted, and you and your dentist evaluate the look of the teeth, including shape and color. Changes are noted and sent back to the technician for updates. This appointment takes 30-60 minutes.
- Appointment Four – Wax Final: Changes from the previous meeting are incorporated into a second wax denture. These are tried on and, if approved, we give the technician the go-ahead to produce your final denture. This appointment typically takes 30 minutes.
- Appointment Five – Denture Fitting: Your final dentures arrive and your dentist makes several minor adjustments to perfect the fit and comfort level. This appointment lasts about 30 minutes.
- Appointment Six – Additional Adjustments: After wearing your dentures for 48 to 72 hours, you return to our office for additional adjustments to improve their fit and performance.
Ready to smile and eat with confidence? Talk with Downtown Dental about your new dentures today.